Finding the right platform to grow your brand’s online presence can be confusing, especially when you’re reasonably new to social media marketing. This is why we’re going to cover one of the most recent and exciting developments within mainstream social media, in the form of a super easy-to-understand guide. Here’s everything you need to know about IGTV for small businesses.
What exactly is Instagram TV? (IGTV)
Through IGTV, Instagram is taking advantage of the surge in people connecting with TV through their smartphones. Here’s an outline of what the app is and does:
- The interface is a novelty in itself, as it plays automatically as soon as you tap on the IGTV icon, just as a real TV would when powered on
- The ‘For You’, ‘Following’, ‘Popular’, and the ‘Continue Watching’ tabs are like a TV Guide for IGTV, and accessible
- The search bar right above the tabs is handy. It gives you instant access to the existing content on IGTV, as well as providing suggestions for you based on who you follow, or what you’ve already been watching
- IGTV is formatted for ‘Vertical video’ making the app well-suited for a smartphone experience
- Videos on IGTV can be up to an hour long in length, which trumps Instagram’s incredibly limited video length
- Users can like and comment on videos, as well as sharing them via Instagram Direct, which opens up a world of possibilities for the future of TV
- Each Instagram user’s IGTV content is easily accessible from their profile, on a newly added spot beneath their bio
- The length of time that the content stays online for is up to you, unlike Instagram stories, which disappear after 24 hours
Sites like Netflix, Amazon Video, and ITV Hub have played a huge part in changing how people perceive the phrase ‘TV’, and how they connect with it.
IGTV definitely progresses this further and adds value to the user experience by merging two familiar yet different platforms together in a way no one could have predicted.
How can IGTV help my business?
Now that you have an idea of what IGTV is, let’s get down to business. Are you wondering what you can do to be one of the first to take advantage of this platform? We’ve got you covered:
Make use of the platform by creating some learning-based content for your customers. This adds value to their experience, which is the most important thing to aim for when you’re sharing content. For example, if you’re a coffee bean company, then you might create a tutorial for creating the perfect flat white at home.
Behind the scenes
Similarly to ‘Instagram Stories’, use IGTV as a space to share what your team get up to. There are far more possibilities with this platform too as you have a lot more freedom with video length. Go wild! If your business makes pin badges, then show your audience how you do it, or what you do in the process.
There are plenty of free or inexpensive apps out there released alongside (but not affiliated with) Instagram, specifically for editing content for IGTV (Carve, Videoleap, and InShot to name a few). Your content doesn’t have to be super high-res or professional on this platform, but polishing it a little will make you stand out.
Much like using apps to enhance your videos, having some nifty smartphone equipment can make all the difference. There are lenses and tripods that you can connect to your phone in order to make your content more professional. We suggest having a look on eBay, as you can pick up cheap smartphone lenses to have a play around with.
We can’t wait to learn more about what this app has to offer. We’re looking forward to see what content it brings, as well as having a go at it ourselves!